The Toronto International Film Festival has announced its Midnight Madness and Vanguard programs for 2014. There’s lots of goodness in there and it’s worth taking a look even if you aren’t going to the festival, so you can you movie watching later this year or next. We’ll be posting the trailers from the films later.
Graveyard Shift Sisters talks with writer/director Kellee Terrell about representation and Black women in horror film . “A story about love, loss, regret and sacrifice could be told in any medium with any kind of backdrop. But I was never really interested in telling Aimee and Cynthia’s story if zombies weren’t part of it. Because […]
At PBS Idea Channel, Mike considers and then reconsiders the beneficial effects of trolls. At Kill Screen, Matthew Byrd writes about the integration of trolling into a multiplayer online gaming experience, particularly with DayZ and Demon’s Soul. (Thanks, Edie!)
My heart is like a toddler. It has very little concern for cause and effect and only a tenuous grasp on temporality. All sorts of things it really ought to know by now, it doesn’t appear to. I’ve had years to teach it better social behavior, but it’s basically still the kid jumping up and […]
The Mysterious Order of the Skeleton Suit gathered together to harrow ourselves with the the movie Jess Franco walked away from, Zombie Lake (1982). Enjoy our harrowing here. (The Cultural Gutter is a proud Agent of M.O.S.S.)
It makes sense that so much of Mario Bava’s oeuvre would deal with situations and people that/who are not what they seem. His whole life was spent in the world of deception and illusion. His father was a sculptor who moonlighted as an effects man for Italy’s magnificent silent era spectacles. Bava himself studied to […]
“[A]t the same time, it’s an Archie story with zombies where you have Jughead going around trying to eat people, which is inherently hilarious.” Comics Alliance talks with Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa about the upcoming Afterlife With Archie comic.
It’s inside you. If you’re talking about blood or cookies, that’s a good thing. You definitely want those inside you. If you’re talking about aliens or zombie viruses, not so much, right? Well, 99% of the time the answer is probably ‘Hell, no!’ but the other 1% makes it a much more interesting question than […]
At The Village Voice, Simon Abrams writes about The Walking Dead and its female characters.
The first thing you have to understand is this: I hate zombies. Truly, completely HATE them. Mine is a complex hatred, operating on more than one level. At the core I am, as previously stated, a huge chicken. Zombies, for their part, are one of horror’s basic building blocks. They’re practically terror ground zero. […]
The opening credits for The Walking Dead, if the show were made in 1995. (via @ChastityBites)
Scientists make a feature film about radiation zombies and film it at CERN. It’s educational and you can watch it here.
Read and listen to harrowing accounts of teens besieged by zombies in Tullamore, New South Wales. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation covered the event. and interviewed Tullamore Central School’s principal. Teens recorded their experiences as did Parkes High School’s librarian, ABC correspondent Kia Handley and zombie outbreak mastermind Matt Finch.
I’ve missed the spooky month of October by one day, and probably rotted my brain on too much Rifftrax. In lieu of coherent thoughts, here is a compilation of recent observations.
Soldier of Cinema Rob Mitchell talks to Mike Lane about editing zombie death for the Nuit Blanche installation, “101 Zombie Kills / Cent Une Tueries De Zombies.”
Among Others by Jo Walton just won the Nebula Award for best novel, and Seanan McGuire (in combination with her pseudonym Mira Grant) was just nominated for four Hugo awards in one year, a new record. I figured I should take a look at Walton’s book, along with something by Grant (I ended up reading […]
The FantAsia site is up and running with many, many trailers to get you ready for the festival. (Or at least, what films to keep an eye out for).
“The ‘Ramsay Brothers,’ as they are called, have in these films, and in India’s first horror show on television, featured ghosts, ghouls, monsters, zombies, witches, vampires and every conceivable version of things that go bump in the night. Mostly, they’ve been the first to do so.” More on the Ramsay Brothers and Hindi film horror […]
Sometimes life is uncooperative. The consequences extend from our highest functions to the lowest corners of the cultural gutter. Here, friends, is the result of my non-compliant life situation: a list of things that make me think of other things, loosely organized around the theme of absurd horror-comedies! I’ll start with Tucker and Dale vs. […]
Spectactularoptical interviews the gentlemen of the Canadian genre film making collective, Astron-6, and includes a retrospective–with video!
keep looking »